Upcoming Meetings and Events
Bay City Creek Field Trip Series
Join us for a series of field trips at our very own local watershed in the city of Ashland: Bay City Creek. Most field trips will meet at and start walking from the Ore Dock. Details below or coming soon.
- Saturday, May 27th at 2pm – Foraging with Axel Peterman – RSVP REQUIRED: RSVP HERE
- June – Water Quality Monitoring with Emma Holtan – date TBD
- July – Aquatic Plants with Fen Sego – date TBD
Macroinvertebrate Sampling – May 15th to May 29th
Twice a year, our volunteers venture into streams to collect aquatic bugs! These macroinvertebrates tell us about our water quality. Anyone may volunteer: you must complete a 2 hour training, then we’ll send you fully prepped for you to sample one stream once within our two week monitoring window of May 15th – May 29th. This sampling takes approximately 4 hours. Sign up for training and/or to volunteer here.
- TUE, MAY 9 AT 6 PM – Virtual Training
- SAT, MAY 13 AT 2 PM – In Person Training at the Coaster Classroom at Whittlesey Creek
Community Macroinvertebrate Identification
Location: Superior Rivers Office 113 Main Street W Ashland WI
- More sessions coming after macroinvertebrate collection – see below
Join us to sort and identify macroinvertebrate specimen that volunteers collected from local rivers and streams. We use the identified specimen to give each stream a score which roughly represents stream health. With this information, we can better understand overall watershed health and target areas worthy of protection or restoration.
No prior experience necessary. Amateur volunteers who want to learn more about the critters that live in their water and how that relates to water quality are encouraged!
Upcoming Partner Events We Are Attending
Our awesome partners host great events like clean sweeps, open houses, trash pickups, expos, and more! Join us at some of the following: